HW: BOC: Re: OFF: Lyrical SF

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Jan 9 15:25:01 EST 1998

Frank Weil authored the message that said
>> But dragging the subject desperately into some state of ontopicness
>> how many bands apart from Hawkwind have used science fiction (and I mean
>> Science Fiction not fantasy) to create song lyrics?
>>
>> jill
>
> For the definitive (as of the last update) answer to this, please see
> the "SF References in Music" list put together by Rich Kulawiec.  This
> is an extensive listing that contains entries for BOC, Hawkwind,
> Michael Moorcock, Tim Blake, ... (which all make this completely on
> topic again).
>
> You can find versions at:
>
> http://www.lib.ox.ac.uk/internet/news/faq/archive/music.sci-fi-refs.html

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/music/sci-fi-refs/faq.htm

Yeah, a pretty darn comprehensive list (just checked it out myself), with
notable contributions from our pals messrs. Holmes & Swann.  My only
disappointment is that it doesn't really include any of the more or less
obscure space rock bands that get mentioned on this list from time to time
- not even Ozric Tentacles, let alone Alien Planetscapes, Architectural
Metaphor, Chrome (!), F/i, ST37 (to name a few who actually have CD's out).
 Or even William Shatner's "brilliant" rendition of "Rocket Man".  If I had
more time on my hands, I'd try to compile some info on them, but I'm also
sorta lazy.

Does it count that I wrote a song called "Blind Date With Abduction" about
a young couple kidnapped from lover's lane by a space alien who seduces the
girl with intergalactic aphrodisiacs and puts her boyfriend in a test tube
for cruel and unusual experimentation ("there was a tube up his ass, and a
tube up his nose / needles jammed into Jim's fingers and toes!" ouch)?  Or
that our guitarist wrote a song about a guy who's depressed about never
being able to see his girlfriend 'cause she's always traveling around in
her Time Machine ("she gets her acid straight from Owsley / I wanna go too
but she never allows me.")?

Of course, there must be people on the list with many more sci-fi originals
than this (hi Marc!!) ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com