OFF: Starship Troopers (was Classic Rock)

Matthew Braun mbraun at URBANA.CSS.MOT.COM
Fri Jan 9 19:36:39 EST 1998

What the heck, why not...

Hardman DK writes of Veerhoeven and ST's politics:
>> At times he appeared to be poking fun at it, but at other times
>> playing it straight. He should IMHO have either placed less emphasis on
>> the fighting and made the politics more coherent, or he should have gone
>> all-out for a total bubblegum movie. Unfortunately, he seems to have
>> fallen somewhere in between.
Quite agree.  Just for the record, Veerhoeven is not in favor of facism or
the Nazis or any of that.  The Nazis destroyed his home and childhood. His
satire was a bit too sharp, though, and many folks completely missed the
fact that he wasn't playing it straight, thinking it to be advocating the
facist position.

J Strobridge <eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> writes:
>the pacifist character never emerged - at best he was a confused simpleton
>drifting where the current action was strongest and his promotion was not
>on any intrinsic military merits but solely because everyone else got
>crunched.  No great leadership qualities here.
Ummm...isn't that the way it works?  I know it happened in Harry Harrison's
parody, "Bill, The Galactic Hero", but I seem to remember that even to some
extent RAH's book.  (...though it has been at least 15 years since I've
read either one.  Pacifist character?  Where?)

                                        m@

ObCD: pApAs fritAs, "Helioself"