OFF: Starship Troopers (was Classic Rock)

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jan 12 12:40:45 EST 1998

Hardman DK writes:

> Mike Moorcock, the main link between BOC & HW, wrote a critique of
> Sci-Fi/Fantasy called "Starship Troopers".  As I recall, Heinlein and
> various others were picked out for their right-wing authoritarian
> tendencies.  This essay can be found in The Opium General.

OTOH Heinlein wrote The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress which is if anything
about libertarian subversion of authoritarian government. Also, a book
with a subversive AI called Mike Holmes is pretty hard to fault.

> > and the fact that no-one got blown up by their own nuclear bombs it
> > was a disappointment.

"Nuclear Bomb: Pull pin and run away very very fast. Harmful if swallowed."

Of course I'd forgive Starship Bloopers if someone nnow made a film of
Joe Haldeman's rebuttal story: The Forever War. If even Heinlein agreed
they should be read as a pair then surely they should be seen as a pair?

Might I suggest Coppola?

> Dave

FoFP