tBS,HW: Needle Gun

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Sat Jan 10 04:08:25 EST 1998

>I've been listening to _Malpractise_ for the last couple weeks (the
>best Christmas present I got!) and "Needle Gun" has had a hold on me
>from the start.  So, what is the Needle Gun?
>
>Is it weapon (a gun that shoots metal slivers, perhaps?) or the
>implement of a tattoo artist?  If the former, is it yet another
>form of Stormbringer?

Okay, first off a Needle Gun (or sometimes "needler") is a staple
of certain sf genre...   but in this particular case, it is referrnig
to a specific item, (which helped make a needle gun such a staple),
that being the weapon of Jerry Cornelius, one of the aspects, as it
were, of the Eternal Champion (Elric being another).  In this analogy,
it would correspond directly with Stormbringer.

However, the song also clearly has a drug metaphor, which is not
that far off base, it came from the Black Sword album and Stormbringer
is definitely a "drug" for Elric (even though he takes more
conventional drugs to try to rid himself of it...)

Someone awhile back even mentioned the hawks playing it at some kind of
rehab benefit and commenting on it right before playign it..

Roger Shrubstaff                   ==   To dwell within Samsara, however is
Duchy of Silverwater                =    to be subject to the works of those
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm=   who are mighty among dreamers.
(Andrew A. Apold)                   ==    - Mahasamatman