OFF: Starship Troopers (was Classic Rock)

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Tue Jan 13 06:53:50 EST 1998

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, M Holmes wrote:

> > As an anarchist, Moorcock is basically opposed to the state and its
> > machinery. But I don't think he's a pacifist; hence his references to the
> > Nestor Makhno's anarchist army in the Russian civil war.
>
> >From comments I've heard him make, I suspect he tends towards some form
> of left wing anarchism. I heard he'd also been doing some pro-censorship
> pieces which would be kinda disturbing.

I can't quite figure Moorcock out on this score. He's always claimed to be
anti-censorship, yet at the same time is a strong supporter of Andrea
Dworkin in her anti-pornography crusade (and she most definitely does want
to censor what we read, see and hear). I'm amused that Moorcock is also
apparently a friend of J.G.Ballard, who is most certainly
anti-censorship & anti-Dworkin, and has been quoted as saying that
when he dies he wants to leave his testicles to Andrea Dworkin  :)

Dave

David Hardman                           "When your back's against the
HCI Design Centre                        wall, you've got to turn round
School of Informatics                    and march forward!"
City University
Northampton Square                       John Major, ex-Prime Minister
London EC1V 0HB

Phone: +44 0171 477 8152
Fax:   +44 0171 477 8859
E-mail: D.K.Hardman at city.ac.uk