OFF: Starship Troopers (was Classic Rock)

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Tue Jan 13 13:53:00 EST 1998

On 13 Jan 11:53, Hardman DK wrote:
> I can't quite figure Moorcock out on this score. He's always claimed to be
> anti-censorship, yet at the same time is a strong supporter of Andrea
> Dworkin in her anti-pornography crusade

It's certainly possible to argue that pornography is a bad thing without
wanting to censor it.

> (and she most definitely does want
> to censor what we read, see and hear).

Actually, she wants the right for people to sue pornographers for the damage
that (she perceives) they do to people.  E.g. she believes that pornography
encourages and incites men to rape women, that pornography stores and
prostitution make streets no-go areas for women, etc., and she wants this
recognised by the law.  Suing for damages is not the same as censoring
beforehand.  As an example of this, she opposed the Canadian
law that bans material that is (perceived to be) degrading to women;
and she did this because she objects to state control.  (In contrast,
Catherine Mackinnon, who is often lumped with Dworkin into a single
bogey monster, the "Dworkinandmackinnon", supported the Canadian law).

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.