OFF: Lyrical SF

c mumford cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Fri Jan 16 11:12:06 EST 1998

At 00:41 16.01.98 -0500, Andrew A. Apold wrote:

>>one thing, the lyrics here aren't sf at all but the music has a certain
>>spacyness... another little lyrical BOC gem  :)
>
>Flaming Telepaths... not sf?  c'mon, it may not be in space
>but that doesn't mean it's sf.  Experiments involving alterations
>into psi?  That could be Alfred Bester, Scanners, Babylon 5,
>etc... very sf...

OK, I guess the sf theme in FT (as IMO most good sf does) is used as a way
to address certain things about us all but with the freer reign that sf
gives. FT to me just seems to be not very buried in sf imagery aside from
the actual title (and Veteran, addressing a similar theme, but under the
sf/psi imagery, psychological warfare). The psi thing in FT is IMO a thinly
disguised metaphor for drug experimentation gone bad! :) I don't get any
particular sf author vibes or heavy "genre feel" in FT really... get down
to the nitty gritty of it and any recording of ideas of any kind *is*
psi!!! :)

So here we go... (not the Black Sword metaphor again!!!)

Christian