OFF: Lyrical SF

Horse Whisperer beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 16 08:05:41 EST 1998

>> sci-fi set of themes.  Did it feel futuristic or
>> interstellar-spacial????  My arse it did, just like almost everyone
else
>> who tries it on.
>> Hawks can't be whipped at this one.
>>
>> Chris.
>>
>How do you rate Pearlman-era BOC by these standards?  Space words,
>definitely;  space music, from time to time; space sound, open to
>interpretation.  Christian, care to comment?
>
>theo

I know some of the themes were spacial, more of them were
cerebral-fantasy, but a good deal of them were social commentary based
pretty firmly in the here and now.
The music just always seemed to me to be good rock'n'roll with enough of
a quirky edge (nutty drums, wild lyrics, choice live japes) to make it
really interesting and addictive.
IMHO BOC never seemed Spacey musically, yeah, they had a few atmospheric
spots, eg. Workshop of the Telescopes, Flaming Telepaths, She's As
Beautiful As A Foot, etc..
The SpaceRock thing, to me, is when you can close your eyes and 5
seconds later you are a free-floating consciousness in the inter-stellar
reaches.
Who knows?

Chris.