OFF: Lyrical SF

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Jan 16 18:18:47 EST 1998

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Dag Luterek wrote:

> Off topic: Are people around these parts familiar with The Groundhogs, a
> really heavy 60/70's band with really good lyrics. If so, I got 'Thank
> Christ for the Bomb' and it's great. I need some tips on where to go
> next. I think they share something with BOC: heavy riffs and some great
> lyrics.

Actually, this is less off-topic than you think: Dave Anderson (of early
Hawkwind) played with the Groundhogs (circa early '90s), at least he did
when I went to see them at the Conwy Civic Centre.  (In return, Tony
McPhee played on Amon Duul II's _Die Losung_, which also featured Bob
Calvert and members of the Ozrics.)

Where to go next?  Well, nobody's Groundhogs collection can be said to
be even *started* unless they have a copy of _Split_!  It is
quintessential Groundhogs, and includes a cover of John Lee Hooker's
"Groundhog Blues" from which the band took its name.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Fu Manchu, _In Search Of..._

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix