Is there a concert with this?

Mon Jan 19 11:45:14 EST 1998

On Monday, January 19, 1998 4:03 PM, BREVARD, Adrian R.
[SMTP:abrevard at SHL.COM] wrote:

> >I saw the movie -- the song wasn't there; neither audible nor listed in
> >the
> >end credits crawl.  I guess they just used it to bulk up the soundtrack
> >CD.
>
> What a despicable practice.  If they want to consider a song part of the
> soundtrack they can at least use it in the movie.  Maybe BOC should have
> advertised FoUO as "Music Inspired by the Motion Picture Heavy Metal."
> Or, Vice versa.

Well, that wouldn't have been totally inaccurate...

I'm not sure it's so despicable - what often happens is this: the producers
do deals with various artists for songs for the soundtrack; but in the
shooting and editing process, maybe they end up not using all the material.
 But they've already agreed with L7 (in this case) that their song will be
on the soundtrack album.  So it ends up on the album but not the movie,
because they're honouring their agreement with the artist.  What are they
 supposed to do - just bin it?  Or force the director to use all the
material whether he wants to or not?

Soundtrack albums are often a lucrative spin-off from a movie these days -
the _Spawn_ OST is a case in point, and by all accounts the best thing to
come out of that project - but I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing?

-Andy

ObCD: Deniz Tek - _Take it to the Vertical_