OFF: Disco Opera's

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Jan 21 09:00:07 EST 1998

>>>OBCD - Streets, A Rock Opera - Savatage
>>
>>Are there by any chance any good disco-operas (aside from movie
>>soundtracks) over there in your universe? Or in this one? There has to
>>be... actually ICU have come close...
>>
>>Christian

Surely you jest.  A disco opera?  That's like creating room temperature
fire, what's the point! Disco is about dancing not thinking.  Some
lyrics more involved than other but overall its hardly thought provoking
stuff.

>Hey! Easy there... I like that CD set. I'm not sure I would call it
disco
>however.
>

>I will never EVER criticize this CD, but COME ON....how not disco is
>it???
>After Richard Burton's incredible intro, after the opening orchestral
>bars, check the band.... I Mean...where are those spangly flares???
>It's brilliant from start to finish ("But you're not there") but it is
>sooooo D.I.S.C.O....

"Well I can see we won't be settling this over eggnog, but here's
something we can all agree on, its time to go caroling."  - 4 Legged Man

It also depend in large part on your definition of "disco". Wash. DC was
dubbed Chocolate City by Parliament Funkadelic mainly because this area
lived, breathed and "booty shaked" on funk music.  There is a huge
difference between funk and real disco.  I tend to use the term disco as
it is more widely accepted when describing dance music in general, at
least it seems to be with rockers. Examples:

Funk Songs
Flashlight - Parliament Funkadelic
More Bounce to the Ounce - Roger (a great tBS cover waiting to happen)
The Butt - local DC legends Trouble Funk

Classic Disco songs

I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
Anything by the 70's Bee Gee's
The Hustle - Van McCoy

Funk is to disco what Iron Maiden would be to Air Supply i.e., heavier
grooves along the bass an drum lines.  BOC's ETI is funky while the
remake of Astronomy on Imaginos has a disco like pace with strong funk
flavors.  Check the bass lines, it they were a little slower its funky.
And since dance music really revolves around the rhythm instruments any
dance tendencies in BOC music is more than likely a result of the
Bouchard Brothers.  {didn't they have a R&B cover band before their BOC
days?}.  I don't know about ICU or the other bands you mention but if
you consider it danceable it could be disco, funk or techno, you decide.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe,
lil' ab