HW: Huw/Widowmaker/etc.

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHU.AC.UK
Thu Jan 22 04:50:55 EST 1998

John Majka wrote:

> I'm a big fan of Huw's playing.  I truly think he's one of the unrecognized
> greats, and he really has a recognizable style quite unlike anyone else.  I

I like his playing with HW, his sound and feel fit in very nicely.
His solo work leaves me terribly unconvinced. Whenever I've seen him
and I've been sober it's been a slightly dull experience, but if I've
been really drunk then I've really enjoyed myself. Make of that what
you will.

> read somewhere that he had written a regular column for a UK guitar magazine
> in the 80s.... Does anyone have those magazines?  Or does anyone even know
> what magazine that would be?

It was Guitarist. He was writing for it when it first came out back in
about 1984. They have a web site. Try a search for Music Maker publications.

> I'd be curious what he has to say about guitar playing.

I remember buying an issue when I first started learning the guitar.
Because it had a Huw column in I kept it for years (lost it moving
house). A great column, all about the importance of good quality leads
and jack plugs. Must have taken two or three minutes to put together.
In retrospect it was no dafter than Eric Johnson banging on about
how brass plugs are the best and you can tell Duracell batteries apart
from all the others when you use 'em in your FX pedals.
Actually it was more relevant to me at the time than any Satriani or
Van Halen column on the importance of playing fast in the Dorian mode!

Chris Bates