HW : well HUW / Widowmaker

Ola Nyberg ola.nyberg at SYSTEM3R.SE
Thu Jan 22 10:09:34 EST 1998

>*Ariel* like in the Little Mermaid and *Bender* as in stringbender or
>what? I wouldn't want to be called *Luther Grosvenor* either, but Ariel
>Bender... Gimme a break.
>
>Ola

>jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK:

>No, Ariel like a) appertaining to the sky   b) The angelic Name or c)
>the elemental from Shakespeare's The Tempest ...and....
>
>Bender like a) 4-day-drinking binge or b) ambigous sexuality. basically
>gay. <both English slang probably> It genuinely took some guts to call
>yourself a bender in the early '70's.
>
>anyway, it doesn't matter what it means as much as how it sounds. It
>sounds to me like some sky-writing hallucinating stunt guitarist but
>each to his own. I'm indifferent to the man's guitar but *dig* that
>name!
>Jon

"Sky-writing hallucinating stunt guitarist!" - I *DIG* that!

Thanks for the enlightening info! I guess it sounds differently to you
(whose native tongue is English and know a bit more about Shakespeare)
than it does to me. I guess the reason Ariel doesn't sound too angelic to
me is that it makes me think of washing powder, mermaids and such. Given
the real (original) meaning of it, it does seem a lot less uncool. I must
have associated to the wrong things, simply due to my poor knowledge of
Shakespeare and English in general and, apparently, the influence that
those TV commercials must have had on me! Bastards!

Cheers,

Ola