HW: Huw/Widomaker,/etc.

LN1GJT Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM
Fri Jan 23 05:50:33 EST 1998

>Changing the subject completely, the tracks that were credited as being from
an
>undisclosed 1989 gig on the 'Undisclosed Files' LP and CD were actually
fromthe
>Hammersmith Odeon gig, 8th Dec 1988. (Huw's penultimate performance with HW
>before quitting.) The first two tracks of the concert are only on the
LPversion
>(Masters of the Universe & Coded Languages) and then the CD takes thetracks
>from there up to the end of Angels of Death. (The LP version fades outin the
>middle of Angels)
>Guy Thomas

>IMO, Huw's last performance, the Robert Calvert tribute on March 5, 89, was
>very disappointing.  I can only speculate on the reasons, but it seemed that
>it was very disjointed, and  for the most part, seemingly random guitar
>noodlings.  Maybe he knew it was his last time with the Hawks, and his heart
>wasn't into it?
>
>Kevin Sommers

Kevin, your absolutely right. I forgotten about the Calvert tribe. Your
probably right in guessing the reasons why Huw was not on form. Don't forget
though, Nik was rather stealing the limelight!

I only ever saw bob perform once, that was with the band at Ramsgate, in May
1984. The band were really relaxed and Calvert was superb with his brass
megaphone - I've even got a great tape of that gig too! It would have made a
great video - alas, missed oportunities!