Dave Brock coasting?

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Jan 27 14:33:57 EST 1998

William Duffy <xl5 at IINET.NET.AU> has writ:

>>> songs lately. Wasn't Paul Rudolph & Alan Powell sacked because of
>>this???
>>
>>     I thought it was funk they were getting into ...
>>
>I seem to remember Calvert mentioning funk & reggae.

I'm pretty sure that the exact words (whether by Brock or Calvert, I'm not
certain, but probably the latter) were "...too funky" (of course, in 1977,
bad funk = disco, so that would explain the "disco" description).  I can't
believe that Calvert would've complained about a reggae influence, since he
had already recorded "Cricket Star" (flexi) and "Magical Potion" (from
'Lucky Lief...', although maybe that one's more calypso/fake Carribean than
actual reggae, ala the Kinks' "Supersonic Rocket Ship" or the Sweet's
"Co-Co" & "Poppa Joe" or other stuff like that which was inexplicably
popular in England in the early 70s - I love both those bands, but I rather
dislike those particular songs).

The reggae influence isn't exactly a new thing to Hawkwind, though (even
discounting the aforementioned Calvert tracks).  There's "The Camera That
Could Lie" from 'Electric Teepee', and the "Brainstorm" midsection from
'California Brainstorm'.  That having been said, I'm still not real wild
about any of that reggae stuff in Hawkwind music or the Capt. Rizz
toasting; as a fan of Lee Perry and other spaced-out dub stuff, I guess
I'll be rascist (and geographist?) and say that the music should probably
be left to ganga-puffin' blacks from Carribean islands, not hash-huffin'
whites from North Sea islands.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com

ObCD: Richard Franecki (F/i co-founder) 'Welcome to the Electric Circus'

ObHypocrisy: I'm occasionally involved in a band called Billy Jah which
consists entirely of white males (except for our occasional toaster, who
fulfills our PC-required quotas by being a black butch lesbian) playing
tripped-out dub versions of songs by a particularly obnoxious MOR artist
(figure it out yourself...).  (ok, well, almost - my white female housemate
sometimes plays organ & synth when I'm not there)

ObSarcasm: didn't 2000DS or some other Ron Tree Band cover "I Shot The
Sheriff"?