Dave Brock coasting?

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Jan 27 16:32:52 EST 1998

"Ted Jackson jr. 6L6" <tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU>, assuming that this is
alt.music.space-reggae.faq-l (sorry, just kiddin'!), posed the question:

>From:          Doug Pearson <ceres at SIRIUS.COM>
>> about any of that reggae stuff in Hawkwind music or the Capt. Rizz
>> toasting; as a fan of Lee Perry and other spaced-out dub stuff, I guess

[...]

>> consists entirely of white males (except for our occasional toaster, who
>
>What's a toaster/toasting?

It's a reggae-specific term for a non-singing form of vocalizing.  If
you've heard the stuff that Captain Rizz has done with Hawkwind (like at
Strange Daze) - that's toasting.  It has somewhat of a
preaching/speach-giving quality to it (which makes sense, since reggae is
the music of the Rastafarian religion) ... I guess if you can imagine
Robert Tilton or Jimmy Swaggart or <name of your favorite televangelist> as
an afro-carribean man stoned off his gourd on high-grade ganja while
spouting off about "JAH ... RAStafari!" instead of "PraiseTheLawd
Halleyloo-yuh!" you have a pretty good idea of what a toaster does.
Perhaps one of the OED readers on the list can provide an etymology?  I
assume that the term is derived from "toast" as in "let's drink to the
coolest list on the Internet", but I could be wrong ...

Hope that helps!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com