Distand Horizons/Dave Brock etc

John Majka flossbac at WCIC.ORG
Thu Jan 29 10:00:12 EST 1998

At 07:26 AM 1/29/98 +0100, you wrote:
>At 22:47 28.01.98 -0500, you wrote:
>>(quote: Ron Tree at the spacedaze98 shows)  "it's not the worst album HW ever
>>did,
>>but it's in no way the best.  We were really pressed for time and it shows."
>>
>>rj
Well, Ron at least acknowledges that it's nowhere near being the best album.
And if not the worst, it is at least among the worst three or four.  What is
funny is his statement that they were "pressed for time" which is nothing
more than a lie.  Keep in mind that these days Brock owns his own studio and
all the stuff is recorded there, at Hawkwind's leisure.  Time is not an
issue anymore, since they can spend as long as they like in the studio.  I
think the "pressed for time" statement is a cop-out.  Heck, they can't even
claim that the label is pressuring them for an album, since they are on
their own label--they keep their own schedule.  The problem, I think, is
that Brock and others possibly feel pressured by fans (and the need for
money), so they feel obligated to "throw together" albums when they don't
really have the inspiration or new material together.  More and more, I feel
like Hawkwind is becoming a business concern.  More evidence of this is the
fact that Brock stayed home on a tour some years back while someone else
played guitar in his place.  What kind of thinking could produce a lame idea
like that?  It's not like Hawkwind is just some product, some "brand".  We
expect certain things.  Like Dave Brock playing live.  Like the band taking
the necessary time and interest to put out a good album.  I think the bottom
line is that Dave (and Hawkwind) are creatively slowing down as they age,
but because music is his sole source of income, he is financially obligated
to keep doing it at a pace that may be a little rapid for him now.  I would
prefer that they released one awesome studio album every three years rather
than one so-so one every year, if I had the choice.  I'm just not buying the
"pressed for time" argument any longer.
John Majka
flossbac at wcic.org