Distand Horizons/Dave Brock etc

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Jan 29 14:50:48 EST 1998

In article <199801291500.KAA24487 at wcic.org>, John Majka
<flossbac at WCIC.ORG> writes

<had to be snipped for space>

I think the decline in creative ability with age is a truism in the rock
world. It is also made worse by the fact that the older you get, so your
musical tastes diversify and the paths split more quickly.  There was a
time when I was absolutely dependent on Hawkwind and lived in fear of
them splitting. That time has passed but I still respect Dave for his
longevity and understand that the number of times he will "hit the spot"
is going to diminish. This doesn't stop me enjoying older Hawkwind or
getting that special Hawkwind buzz when they do come along with
something really good. Problem is that it has been a while since
Electric Teepee!

However, the thing that they have often done which does piss me off is
to rename old songs. When I bought the digipak Strange Trips and Pipe
Dreams, it had a sticker on the front saying "Contains the classic track
Bosnia" and I thought "great! sounds hopeful!" only to find they had
already released it as Death of War. OK, so Bosnia might have been the
original incarnation but the differences don't justify hyping it as a
classic and duping the naive ones like myself.

I do agree with John though in that quality rather than quantity should
be the name of the game and if John's money argument is true then all
Dave need do is to release a string of live albums from the late 70s!

Mark