BOC: Not so Super Hits

Mon Jul 6 13:17:28 EDT 1998

>Sigh, been there done that.  John is probably right on all counts Sony
doing something at low cost to squeeze a few more bucks out of the BOC
name.  Damn they are shamless.

Yeah, most big record companies are, I'm sure - the music business is
business first, music second.  But, I digress...

>Now as for least favorite BOC tunes, there be plenty of choices but many
I would disagree with here

I myself can't objectively comment, as I can find something cool in
all of BOC's stuff (yes, even stuff like Debbie Denise).

>Someone also pointed out that I Am the Storm is a real downer after the
Vigil.  Therein lies the problem with a lot of the later albums.  The
song order for most of BOC's catalog is pretty lame.  Rearrange some
them and some of these albums sound a lot better.

Interesting theory.  Don't know that I've ever compared a song based on
what it came before or after.  My theory has been that the problem with
the "lamer" albums if you will is that they lack enough universally-liked
songs among BOC fans.  On the first 3 albums, 90% of BOC fans probably
like 90% of the tracks - and 90% of the unliked tracks are probably the
same 2 or 3 songs.  On RbN and CN, I suspect that it's more like about
70% of BOC fans like about 50% of the tracks - and if you asked them
which tracks they didn't like, you wouldn't have to poll too many people
to get every track on the albums.

>Oh, recommended BOC first listen, get the three pack from Sony
(BOC/T&M/ST) definitely the best bargain to be had.

Can't really go wrong with this one, esp. if you think you'll end up
collecting more BOC albums - but these 3 definitely set the standard
by which all subsequent BOC albums (and some non-BOC albums) would be
judged.  If you're only looking for 1 or 2 more all-encompassing discs,
then WOTT is probably where it's at.

>I would not start
with Imaginos, just don't think its that worthy, the way it turned out
and all.

I wouldn't start with it, but not for the reason you mentioned - but,
basically because it is somewhat unrepresentative.  I think it is a
"must have" for anyone with more than about 4 BOC CDs in their collection,
but as an "intro to BOC", this album won't give you a good appreciation
for the rest of the BOC catalog.  Then again, if you just want an album
that kicks ass all over the place, Imaginos fits the bill.

John