BOC: Heaven Forbid

Alex S. Garcia asg at LAGUNA.COM.MX
Mon Jul 6 14:35:18 EDT 1998

Well, I finally got my copy of HF. I'm in Denver right now, and on our way
up here from Mexico (we came by car), buying this album was the first thing
I did as soon as we were in the States. Was about time I had it !

BTW, I didn't read all the messages which came through back when the album
came out, so perhaps this has already been discussed, but I've heard from a
friend who bought the album in France that the European cover is different
from the one over here. I still highly dislike this one and really hesitated
in buying it - I was considering ordering the European version - but I
finally got this one because I didn't really feel like waiting any longer...

Anyway, about HF itself... I was really impressed. I love this album. It's
full of energy and reminds me a lot of RBN. Even though none of the songs
here are quite as strong & powerful as "Take me away", but still... Oddly
enough, I also think it sounds a lot like a 70's-80's album... go figure.

As for the songs themselves, well... I love them all, honest, although I do
have some favorites, of course. Those would have to be "Harvest Moon",
"Power underneath despair" (the lyrics on this one are really great - and
original !), "Cold gray light of dawn" and "Live for me" (the lyrics, again,
are really great).

It's really amazing how the band managed to make such a great album, after a
10 year gap (even more than that, if you don't count "Imaginos"), just as if
their last album had come out last year. I really *am* impressed. I honestly
wasn't expecting anything this good.

I do wonder why they included that live version of "In thee" at the end...
is this a bonus track on the tape, BTW, or is it also on the CD ? In any
case, I didn't like the original all that much, but I liked the song here.
I'm not sure why. I'd have to listen to the original again, to see if I've
just (finally) grown into this song, or if it's just this version...

Oh yeah, something else... Is it just me, or does anyone else think
"Damaged" really sounds like "D&S" ? I dunno. Just change the "Damaged and I
like it" lyrics to "Dominance and submission" and tell me what you think !!!

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
Read the Icarus Encyclopedia of Fantasy & SF
  http://www.pelnet.com/icarus/