HW: Mixing desk tapes

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Jul 28 01:01:58 EDT 1998

Bernhard writes:

> Yes indeed. The Chippenham has a superb quality but there are some
> mixing-desk tapes
> which are IMHO better. They are:
>
> - Glastonbury 1981 (70 min)

Surely this is just crying out to be committed to a nice, fresh,
74-minute CD-R??? ;-)

But, wasn't this a legitimate band release (in support of CND?)??

Btw, I echo the sentiment of whoever supported audience recordings over
soundboards.  A FOB audience recording with good gear and (most
importantly) good mics, will generally always win out over a soundboard
recording, since the soundboard is mixed for the venue, but what the
listener hears is not filtered through the venue, and so can sound
"wrong," whereas the audience recording is, well, what the audience
heard.  Of course, I have heard some excellent soundboard recordings,
too!

Naturally, bands that allow taping will have better audience recordings,
since this promotes the open use of good equipment (as opposed to
stealth recording).  All the Govt. Mule live recordings I have make all
the Hawkwind ones I have sound shite by comparison.  (Even the Hawkwind
ones rated 9 and 10 for sound quality.)  "Bootlegs" don't have to sound
crap, I've learned.  They just turn out that way when the band doesn't
sanction taping. :-(

Cheers,

Paul.

ob2CD: Warren Haynes, Flood Zone, Richmond, VA, 4/27/93

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix