HW: Mixing desk tapes

Alasdair Macdonald alimac at NETCOMUK.CO.UK
Tue Jul 28 20:43:00 EDT 1998

On 28 Jul 98 at 10:12, Martyn Lawrence wrote:

> > I'm one of those who prefers low generation  audience tapes if at all
> > possible, but there's always an exception and Brighton 5/12/79 is the
> > exception for me.
> >
> > Alasdair
> >
> Alisdair is the Brighton Tape good quality,i've been looking for a
> decent '79 tour tape especially a good recording of New Jerusalem.

yep, so far as i remember i thought everyone had nice quality copy of
this - mine's not superlative, but it's still well above average, and
exciting. Dunno about new jerusalem, i'm not one for songtitles,
especially instrumentals which i assume n.j. is.

> re:1989 tour
> IMHO I think the band played better in their USA tour just before
> the uk '89 tour,although "Rambo in Space" was played at Hav a
> sniff,but Simon was always too low in the mix.

i haven't really compared these shows side by side, all i can say is
that having had hw turn my head upside down, inside out and back
again at 3 shows on that december tour - and i taped Norwich &
cambridge - i have enormous fondness for those tapes. As bernhard
said, the norwich tape i think is *the one*.

As for simon being low in the mix, who cares - it worked for me. if
there's anything worse than an individual being too low in the mix,
it's someone being too high. i remember that tour as a compact, uh
power-trio kinda space-rock, lean, mean, you that hawkwind thing...
but to the MAX and simon was just easing over under and around the
pulsating space-rock - an awesome 90 minute trip... well you get the
idea.

I think my least favourite era of HW was the immediately preceding 2
or 3 years - i thought it was a little stale, i'd seen a lot of shows
in the early 80's and the band seemed to have drifted from the things
that got me into hw in the first place.

So then mr chadwick joined, and a uk tour was announced... what the
hell, i'll go to the 2 local gigs, it's the least i could do... well
of course norwich was so awesome myself & 4 others decided we *had*
to pick another show to attend - and for a variety of reasons, only 1
was suitable - wolverhampton 2 weeks later and a couple of hundred
miles away. And that was a night i can still remember, too - and,
frankly, i don't remember *all* of the hw shows i've seen.

Thanks for the memories ;-)

all the best,

alasdair
--