OFF: Better popular bands??

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Jul 30 14:18:38 EDT 1998

> From:          Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>
>
> > My Govt Mule is on order, so I'll make no comment, but I hope it's
> > better than Warrens solo, "Fire In The Kitchen".
>
> Warren's solo (_Tales of Ordinary Madness_) is a lot softer than the
> Mule, believe me.  (I don't have Warren's solo album, but do have a live
> show that kicked off the tour supporting it.)  I still stand by my
> description of the Mule, uttered on BOC-L, in that they play with "the
> ferocity of a tent revival on steroids."  Since you are a self-confessed
> Southern Rock fanatic, you're no doubt familiar with the huge
> contribution Haynes and Woody made towards revitalising the Allman
> Brothers Band.  And, if you like the ABB, lay back with Mule's _Live at
> Roseland Ballroom_ and soak up a lovely extended version of "Trane"
> which ranges all over the place live, including Mahavishnu Orchestra's
> "Eternity's Breath", and a great jam on the Grateful Dead's "St.
> Stephen."

I agree with your appreciation of GM, but I think Warren's solo album
is a truly excellent effort.  Granted it's a lot mellower than GM,
but it's still a rockin' album.  I heard him live in a small club in
support of Tales...That was one amazing show.  Any idea who the road
band was for that tour?  As usual, nobody turned out here in morally
bankrupt Syracuse, but Warren nonetheless played his ass off for
nearly two hours.  Also, unlike his work with ABB and GM, Warren
played a Strat for almost the entire show, with the exception of a
couple tunes he played slide on, then he used a LP.  He opened with
Just Before the Bullets fly.  Is that the Gregg Allman tune, and did
WH write it and play on any of GA's solo albums?

theo

"...Power in the hands of fools..."