OFF: New Deep Purple (was RE: It's Showtime!)

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Thu Jun 4 13:16:43 EDT 1998

>What's your opinion on the new DP??? I'd love to hear some info if
>you get a chance!
>
>--  Nick

It's ok.  I thought it would be better than it is.  After about 10
listens, none of the songs have really blown me away.  Some are growing
on the though.  Highlights for me so far are "Seventh Heaven," "'69,"
and "Bludsucker" which is a remake of "Bloodsucker" from In Rock.
Gillan is also in top form on this album.  Morse's licks are predictable
for the most part, and some of them sound like they were lifted directly
off Purpendicular.  Lord's keys are excellent as usual, but Paice's
drumming isn't as impressive as it was on Purpendicular.  In fact, the
drum intro to "Any Fule No That" is a less effective clone of the Neil
Pert intro to the 1st song on Rush's Counterparts album (I forget the
name of the song.)  Synopsis:  Good, not great.  Worth getting if you
enjoyed Purpendicular.

Brian