BOC: It's Showtime

Torgo Sedler drtorgo at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 27 10:15:15 EDT 1998

Hi Kids:

This isn't a review proper of the Showtime gig, that will be coming soon
(I hope). By the time I get around to it it might be a bit after the
fact. Heh heh.

All in all a great performance by BOC. I am glad I made it (I almost
didn't). I had been sick as a dog all week long pumping all kinds of
crap into my system to get up the strength to go, and by the time I sat
through the 2 opening acts I was starting to lose it in a big way. I
guess my throat didn't need all the abuse I gave it during BOC as I was
popping cough drops faster than I could unwrap the damn things by the
midpoint of the BOC set.

Brian:
>Some blues cover that I should know the name of, but I couldn't hear
>the words (I was standing in front of Buck's guitar rack.)
> With special guest, Smokin' Joe Bonomassa!  Smokin' Joe and Buck
>traded licks on this one.  It was incredible!

Yeah, that was truly unexpected. Being from New York I of course had
heard of Smokin' Joe but I had never had the pleasure of hearing him
live. WOW! This kid is amazing, and will be an unstoppable force
someday. It was wild to see his 6'+ standing next to Buck and towering
over him as they jammed together. I caught Buck a few times looking over
at him as if to say "Holy SHIT, I must be getting old." When Buck Dharma
looks at a guitarist with an awestruck expression, you know he is on
fire.

Theo:
>A great venue [converted movie house!] though the sound was lacking.
> the mosh are is actually behind the PA, so all you're hearing are >
the stage amps and some monitors if you get close.  Much better
> sounding further back, but you can't see the band.  They should've
> taken  advantage of the sloping floor and put the band down in
> front, but  instead have elevated the stage area, losing the natural >
amphitheater effect!  Duh?

Yeah, my one big complaint as well. Musically it gave the impression of
a small garage band pushing it's equipment to the limit, but I couldn't
hear the vocals to save myself. Since I knew the words it made it so I
almost didn't notice after awhile, but things that Eric might have said
between tunes went right on by me.

And of course this made the blues tune they threw together with Smokin'
Joe impossible for me to understand... especially since through most of
that song I was trying to get myself uninvolded in a fight that broke
out directly in front of me! Some dickweed and his girlfriend get in an
argument and he cuffed her right there in the crowd. She starts bawling,
and some gal half in the bag (ok, three quarters in the bag) goes to her
to comfort her, only to start trading punches with the guy! Arms are
flailing and beer is flying and Torgo heads for cover. 3 feet from Buck
Dharma and I have to put up with assholes! GEEZ!

Good to see Theo and Brian again, hope to see you guys at tBS gig in
Ithaca. I think I have my girlfriend (who hates all things Surgeons)
talked into going to this one, as I know damn well you have to have a
good time at a Surgeons gig. Just impossible to do otherwise.

Oh well, I am off to buy the latest "Calypso" album for Theo. heh heh.
Just kidding dude. If you could have seen the look of total revulsion on
your face about halfway through their gig... well it was pretty funny.
:^)

Torgo has left the building.......
Torgo at norwich.net     DrTorgo at hotmail.com
http://welcome.to/torgos