BOC: Heaven Forbid review

OE3 OE3 at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 12 21:11:46 EST 1998

to my new Canuck friend Christian:
what's up with the barbed personal comments?  the primary purpose of my post
was to critique the new b.o.c. album.  your rebuttal did not even remotely
address heaven forbid.  instead, you chose to take issue with my age, the city
of los angeles, my hairstyle, and my adjective choices.  okay, whatever.  the
fact is i have heard the album and i do not think it is the second
coming--it's mediocre. (after fifteen or so listens in full; plenty of time to
digest for me)  when you get the new album you can share your thoughts, too.
that's what this forum is designed for, not cheap personal attacks.
now, i understand old man winter is raging in the great white north, but that
does not excuse your bitterness toward l.a.  come on, there is no trace of the
'80s sunset strip scene here anymore (the musicians have moved to the more
profitable tribute band genre) and there hasn't been since i moved here a few
years back.  by the way, i'm 25--hardly a has-been fart--and have never worn a
perm. (nice try!)
my sole purpose in bringing up the billboard charts was to illustrate the fact
that rock music sales have been flat for three years now and show no immediate
sign of being resucitated.  but hey, the ozzfest was the second-highest
grossing tour of last year so there is hope that some new act will break big
soon.
as far as originality in rock music, b.o.c. was one of the true originals,
and, as with most of the great bands of the era, no one sounded like them.
"see you in black" may have a deep groove and may be among their heaviest
sounds in some time, but it doesn't conjure the fascination, lyrically and
musically, that most of their great songs do.  and for me, that thought holds
for most of the new album.
i hope heaven forbid gains the cult some new fans and that everyone on the
list has a chance to hear it.  i wouldn't be on the list if i weren't already
a big fan.  it seems to me that, my review being the among the first, some of
you don't want to read any negative opinions about the first new b.o.c. in ten
years.  oh well...
eddie
los angeles, calif.