HW: Silver Machine video revisited

reset mumford at ONLINE.NO
Sat Mar 14 12:05:47 EST 1998

> We all have our own tastes, I guess. But apart from agreeing with you on
> Stonehenge, I believe it to be the other way around, with LIS and Live
> Legends being the best videos.

Yes they are both much better productions.

I just never liked the Alien4/LiS stuff at all.
The music on Live Legends is great I just hate
watching it. Well, aside from the guy wrapped
in toilet paper and Simon House looking somewhat
vacant. (bizarre puns originally not intended BTW)

With LiS I hate having to listen to it, and I find the
"concept" overblown, embarrasing and vapid ;) Though
there's alot of neat visuals and its an elaborate theatrical
show.

Am I the only one who finds A4/LiS albums to be
extremely _sucky_?? *flat out* sucky?? ;)

> I find Night of the Hawks very annoying,
> because most of it is in virtual darkness,

Hmm, I rather like the fact. "Night Of The Hawks"....
s'posed ta be in the dark! Skeletal guitarists and
maniacal clowns etc. Works for me anyway.

>and I found Nik to be rather
> embarrassing to watch.

Well, he's been hung up on that schtick ever since...

The Silver Machine "contest" is pretty lame....

>Chaos is badly filmed, and is really more like a
> sequel to Chronicles,

This is very true. Like an incoherent follow-up as
regards "concept", or lack thereof. Static camera, not
great sound. But I like the music and cartoons ;))

There's this great bit in the middle of Dreaming City
where the cartoons with the music create layers and layers
of interpretations ;)

>but without any of the interesting visuals.

What about the projection??
Never mind those "dancers"...

> I also feel that the music on these 2 weren't really a good indication of
> the HW sound.

Well Chaos certainly could be comfortably
filed next to Reading 86? Or even Chronicles??
'86-87 are something of a "blank" period of HW,
sandwiched between Chronicle and Xenon Codex,
as far as new material goes.

> Just my own thoughts on that.
>
> William

Well, right on with the production end of it...

What do other people make of all this? I for one
wouldn't mind Night Of The Hawks and Chaos on CD.

And who else finds those cheezy sub-psychedelic
FX on the SR94 video annoying? (maybe brief instances
where they are somewhat braintwisting, but on the whole
distract)

But nothing comes close to Chronicles with that great encore
- more Spinal Tap than Spinal Tap! Don't leave Melnibone without
it...

Christian