OFF: Dodgy tastes in music (retitled for Craig)

Thu Mar 19 06:29:41 EST 1998

On Wednesday, March 18, 1998 6:13 PM, reset [SMTP:mumford at ONLINE.NO] wrote:
> ok, ok, you convinced me of who's the coolest ;)
>
> ... and  Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell rules!
>
> Christian

No, you blew it again!  :)  There is a place for all that Steinman
cod-operatic guff (it worked fine on the soundtrack to Walter Hill's
_Streets of Fire_, and didn't he produce the Sisters of Mercy once?) but
only as long as you approach it with layers of irony.  Surely?

(Still at least it's not Rush.)

I'd also venture that there's a direct influence from Queen circa "Bohemian
Rhapsody" on just about everything Steinman ever did.  And arguably on lots
of other "operatic" rock tracks like, say, "Nosferatu" (ob BOC).

While well OFF, what about that Robbie Williams video where he's made up
like a member of Kiss?  The song's better, and indeed heavier, than most
Kiss I've heard, too :)

-Andy