OFF: Wallis-era UFO

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Mar 24 15:50:53 EST 1998

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:47:09 +0100, it was reset <mumford at ONLINE.NO> who
wrote:

>Well, what I read in the "Tapestry of Delights" book was that Wallis
>"taught" UFO the HM chic, wearing leather etc., ditching the whole hippy
>thang (I'll have to say I only care for their early spacerock suff, but ok
>;) and going for an out-n-out HM image.

Yeah, UFO2/Flying, I really like - anything later falls into the "guilty
pleasure" category.  It's interesting to hear that Larry was that
influential on UFO (although there was already some pretty HM material on
their first LP - "Boogie For George" etc.), but he WAS one of the original
"leather jacket" rockers (even before E. Bloom!).  Obviously, I'm a Larry
Wallis fan, but I always thought he was pretty significant as a bridge
between the hippie, metal and punk movements (to which he admits - he just
wanted to be Jimi Hendrix - who wouldn't?).  Of course, you could say the
same thing about Lemmy (check out the hippie psych of Sam Gopal's Escalator
- you could even extend him back to the "beat" movement with the Rockin'
Vicars) or Hawkwind in general ...

>I've actually thought about the
>whole Wallis/UFO quite abit as (nearly ;) the strangest HW "link" out
>there.

Ooh ... now there's a tough one, what about ...

Andy Anderson (drummed for the Cure, then Hawkwind)
Lemmy gigging with the Damned (OK, technically the Doomed)
Paul Rudolph playing with Phil Collins on Eno albums
Simon House playing with David Bowie and Japan
Danny Thompson, senior
Ginger Baker
Keith Hale (ex-Comus, who HEAVILY influenced Current 93)
Twink playing with Steve Howe in Tomorrow
... and who can forget Samantha Fox!?

>Yeah Scott, I'm sure you have some tapes ;)

Like we needed to ask ;^)

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com

ObCD: Ash Castles On The Ghost Coast