HW: Dark Carnival (OFF)

Wed Mar 25 04:57:37 EST 1998

On Wednesday, March 25, 1998 1:49 AM, Doug Pearson [SMTP:ceres at SIRIUS.COM]
wrote:

> >it kicks off with a version of "The Right Stuff"!
>
> Similar, I assume to the one on the DAM live album that came out on Fan
> Club?

And is also on the "Hawkwind covers all" project - which I'd had for ages
and forgotten about! :)

> >Not sure who's on the vocals (it's not Niagara :),
>
> Ron Asheton seems to be the best guess that anyone's come up with;

On the Dark Carnival disc, it might be the person mysteriously named
"Bootsey X" - the notes talk about his "Las Vegas style delivery" (although
it sounds more like the Big Bopper to me!)

> I'll have to check this one out; I only have the very first Dark Carnival
> live album, the one with Cheetah Chrome on it doing the Stiv Bators
> tribute
> thing ...

I've seen that on mail order lists but not picked it up - I found GSiD in
Tower at Piccadilly Circus!  It also has a top version of "I Wanna Be Your
Dog" (sung by Niagara), but then again I thought the version of "These
Boots Are Made For Walking" was misjudged.

> and, eldritch <eldritch at NDIRECT.CO.UK> added:
>
> >Destroy All Monsters are great.  I always wondered what the Dark
> >Carnival stuff was like.
>
> A lot like Ron Asheton-era Destroy All Monsters!

Kind of a mutant Stooges/Velvets sound - if you think you'll like it then
you probably will! :)  _Last Great Ride_ is a really good album.

> Hawkwind should have gotten Niagara to replace Stacia when she quit!!

Rock history would have been changed forever!!!!

-Andy

ObCD: Destroy All Monsters - _Bored_