HW: Welcome 4CD/Dave Anderson

Johan Edlundh johan.edlundh at HABO.MAIL.TELIA.COM
Fri May 1 13:36:52 EDT 1998

This is for those of you who's impressed of the [Unofficial] HW Recycling
Industry Inc.
It's written by a dude fairly close (but not on the inside) to that Industry.
I've [edited] the text very briefly.

Beside the fact Brock & co will never see any money from it, I hope the
Mini-CD will make it.
And then the Recycling will come to an end.

best -joe

------------------------------------
On Thursday [9 Apr], I called Demi-Monde and spoke to Dave Anderson who's
responsible for all that [Welcome to the Future] stuff. When I told him
about the 4CD set, he replied 'oh, so it's out then'. He didn't know it had
come out and was surprised bcause he said that the contracts had not yet
been finalised and that someone ahd 'jumped the gun'.

I told him about the fact that it had been sold in to us as a 5CD set with
the missing Text Of Festival stuff, but had turned into a 4CD set without
the unreleased tracks. He said I should say all this to Nigel Molden at
Magnum, to whom the set had been licensed (I presume that Dressed To Kill
then is some subsidiary activity of Magnum).

T cut a long conversation short, I explained everything to Dave Anderson and
the penny finally dropped on what had happened. Basically, Anderson is the
only one in possession of the master tapes for the 'Text' album, but when he
licensed it to Magnum, he never thought that Nigel would take it from his CD
master and not fom Dave's master. Becaus Nigel probably hasn;t a clue that
his Text Of Festival single CD isn't missing anything and isn't aware of the
importance, he went ahead and did it from a CD master, and I presume that
Dressed T Kill, having sold it in as a 5 CD set, just thought tht someone
along the line had cocked it all up and said nothing.

Anyway, Dave is now adamant that he wants to redress the problem an make the
4 CD set into the 5 CD set, with the expenses involved in that being
incurred by Molden, the ultimate idea being that fans who've bought the 4 CD
set be able to return it to their dealer and change it. I said that this was
a bad idea because of the cost to the fans and he nihtmare logistic of the
whole processs, such as proving who bought what and where, how the dealer
gets credited for the expenses incurred in posting replacements, etc, etc. I
said that it would be a far better idea if he released the unreleased Text
album music onto CD as a mini-CD at, say, £5.99, and that would be a much
more accptable idea. Dave stated that he thought the fans might think of
this as a rip-off, but I stated that I could think of far worse things that
have constituted rip-offs than that. Anyway, with the shit about to hit the
fan bewtween all of them... [...]