OFF:Scientology! (Re: HW: What now?)

Tue May 12 08:38:11 EDT 1998

Wow - I had a similar experience with these folks in Boston about 12
years ago.  I was walking down the street and was offered their free
"personality test" - while I was in there taking the "test", one of
there folks was badgering this woman who had just finished - they were
trying to get her to buy L. Ron Hubbard's "Dianetics" book.  As I
recall, there were 2 versions - some sort of abridged one and the full
one.  The woman had agreed that she could probably buy the abridged
version, but didn't have enough $$ on hand for the full version - yet
they tried to convince her to buy that one.  When she said that she
wouldn't have enough $$ to get home on the subway, they asked if she'd
be willing to go home and get the $$ to buy the full version.  I was
shocked because this woman didn't look like she had too much extra
money to spend, and she seemed sincerely concerned about buying the
abridged version.  I don't remember how I got out of there, but I do
recall that I wasn't going to allow myself to be subjected to their
spiel - probably made up some lame excuse like I forgot that I was late
for some appointment, and got the hell out of there.

John