OFF: Tarantino

sprawl sprawl at BLACKBOARD.COM
Tue Nov 17 18:31:23 EST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick English at blackboard.com <Nick English at blackboard.com>

> his own style.  Second, I think we tend to forget that people don't
> suddenly arrive as superstars because the hype machine is so overblown as
> to make us think such stars have always been and always will.

Here I absolutely disagree. The '98 Volkswagen Beetle, for instance,
is selling like mad...thanks to absolutely nothing BUT hype. People
and products are "made" every day of the week. I'm not saying this is
what happened with Tarantino, but to say it doesn't exist is naive.

Just like to say that I was very into Tarantino long before I ever heard his
name.
It was only upon hearing the hype that I realized I was a Tarantino fan.
And I am
one of those weirdos who generally hates everything popular for the simple
crime of being popular!

>Just one last point, not really relevant to his talent, his career,
>hype or anything else we've been discussing:  As a human being,
>Quentin Tarantino is a first class asshole!

Aren't we all?  I understand Bill Gates is something of a smeghead too, but
here
we are.  I am not interested in having QT over for tea, but I would be
disappointed to
hear he was retiring.   BTW I hated Foxy Brown.  Loved parts of it.  Hated
most of it.

You can say that QT only made 2 movies all you want.  ALMOST every movie he
had
_anything_ to do with has a very similar feel.  Anyone see Four Rooms?
Hilarious.

Rj

--  Nick