OFF: Orion Space rock review

zeitgeist-scot xzx28 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Oct 7 12:35:02 EDT 1998

Orion Space Rock Festival '98: A Non-pretentious attempt at a review
by Perky Pat
Links to all bands, Strange Trips, and Orion follow the "review"

Another GREAT festival at Orion.  Last year's five band roster was an
amazing day, but it was a LONG day, lasting more than 12 hours.  This year,
there were only three bands, with the show lasting a bit more than six hours
(at my age, manageable).  All three bands, Born to Go, Quarkspace, and Alien
Planetscapes played solid sets that were thoroughly enjoyed by the less than
full house.  The Strange Trips lightshow was here again, and this year's
festival was every bit as tripped out as last year's, due to the cool
sounds, and astounding lightshow.  They must have gotten a lot more lights
since last year, as the lightshow seemed especially layered (that or I've
altered my chemistry once too often, and it was me that was layered...I'm
pretty sure it was Strange Trips though!!!).  Anyways, onto the bands.

First up were Born to Go.  I only caught the last five songs, as we were
running kinda late, but what I saw, I liked a lot.  They struck me as a
punker kind of Hawkwind (sort of what I imagine they would have sounded like
if Lemmy had taken more of a leadership role), with sci-fi/computer related
lyrics.  Each song I saw was very high energy, with a cool synth wash over
the whole thang.  They had lots of noisy robots down on the floor banging
into everyone's legs, and the lightshow by Strange Trips was excellent.
Born to Go ripped, and were a fantastic way to start the evening.

Next is a band I've now seen a few times, Quarkspace.  Everytime I see them,
they seem to be getting better and better.  Last year, I reviewed the show,
and made a crack about Quarkspace "not being fucked up sounding enuff for my
taste"...well, this year they were VERY fucked up and spacial with several
long improvised sounding pieces that really worked.  The first piece was
like a Wendy & Carl/Pink Floyd trip piece that surprised me, and they didn't
let me down for the rest of the set--great show guys!!!  They were also good
at the Strange Daze festival two months ago up in Ohio, but I think their
set here was the best I've seen.

Finally, the kings of American space rock, Alien Planetscapes.  I had seen
them at the Strange Daze fest in a rather heavily altered state, and they
were incredible (but almost too intense that night if ya get my drift)...so
here at the Orion Space Rock fest this night, I was looking forward to
seeing the Aliens sans third eye to see if they were as amazingly fucked up
as I thought (or if it was just me).  And they most certainly didn't
disappoint...a completely over the top, intense performance, with the
Strange Trips folks casting a heavily multi-layered light show over the
whole thing.  Every song they did, even if it started out spacey and quiet
would just keep building in intensity to an amazing crescendo of psychedelic
noise (it's a wonder I survived the Strange Daze show).  All members of this
band are incredible, and there were great moments by all, but Dr. Synth
again impressed me the most.  He kept up this incredible wash of synth
sounds, and actually drove the band along with his analog swirls.  One of
the best shows I've seen in years, and I'm at a point where the Aliens are
my favorite live band to see (can't think of ANYONE putting out this kind of
intensity these daze)...

Another great time with special thanks going out to all the bands who
travelled far and wide to appear, the Orion Sound Studios in Baltimore for
being totally cool by having shows like this, and Jim Lascko and Strange
Trips for the best light show on the planet (and also for putting on the
Strange Daze Space Music festival this summer...truly one of the highlights
of the past few years).  A fantastic evening, and I hope these fests
continue for years to come!!!

If you want more information, follow these links:

Alien Planetscapes: http://www.uniflex.net/~borntogo/ap_01.html
Born to Go:  http://www.uniflex.net/~borntogo/btg.html
Quarkspace:  http://users.aol.com/quarkspace/qspace.htm
Strange Trips:  http://www.now-online.com/jmfinity/about.htm