Re: HW: Bedouin Last Night ===

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Thu Oct 15 14:15:32 EDT 1998

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 1:10 pm +0100 "Andy Gilham"
<Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM> wrote:
> Yep, it was fun.  Nice little venue, a bit sparsely populated: about
60-100
> people all told, I'd say, at various stages of the evening, with about 20
> groovers at the front. :)
>
> There was a support band, Define, who were a rather grisly bunch of Floyd
> wannabes.

    Part Floyd, part "Indie" band of death.  They had a few moments
but were otherwise strictly for lame-o trendies.  They were worryingly
clean-cut.

> Alan seemed to be enjoying himself!  Selection of stuff from both his
> albums, and his Hawkwind favourites.  Sounded more like Hawkwind than
> Hawkwind at times, not surprising since Alan's had a major hand in
defining
> the Hawkwind sound for many years!

    Yeah, I really dug Bedouin again.  Totally tremendous band--
what more can I say.  With a somewhat larger audience to provide
some more atmosphere, they would be tough to beat.

    IMO, it's a treat to see Alan Davey liberated from the confines
of Hawkwind.  Jeez, I can scarcely believe I wrote that, but it's
true.  For the last decade at least, Hawkwind's main strengths have
been a superb backcatalogue of songs and Alan's input (when he didn't
let himself get carried away by synths and sequencers!).  But Alan
has really dropped about a ton of adrenilin into his HW-era
compositions, and his new stuff is shaping up well as one might
expect.  I've not heard the album still, and I suppose in the
studio there will yet be a danger for Bedouin letting the groovy toys
get in the way, but the stripped-down, space-metal assualt which
they do live serves up a huge chunk of cosmic blanga.  Bedouin
doesn't much arse about, and does rock muchly.

> Who's up for Motorhead on Saturday then?

    Ich!

> And what's this about a Rob Zombie/Monster Magnet gig in December eh?

    On the 15th, I believe.  I'm there.

Cheers,
Carl

--