HW: Help for a paper

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Oct 26 14:18:10 EST 1998

J. Scruton writes:

> Hey there Hawkgang,
>
> Probably opening up a bag of worms, I'm thinking about writing a paper on
> the political interpretations of rock groups -- both in the material they
> play and
> how they are received, etc. So...obviously Hawkwind falls into that
> category of political participants.
>
> What I need though is to be pointed in webdirections for commentary in the
> press to that effect, song lyrics (already got "Urban Guerilla,""Hassan I
> Sabah," "Uncle Sam's On Mars" from spirit of the p/age.) and any other
> helpful things that might be pointed out about Hawkwind's doings on such a

Practically infinite - as no doubt many folk have told you by now - since
Hawkwind have always been a 'politically aware' (horrible phrase but I
can't think of an alternative just now) unit.   I s'pose it could depend
on whether you feel you can separate social comment from political
comment (if such a thing is possible) which might narrow things down a
bit but otherwise you'll really need to look at everything from the
first album onwards.

If it helps, the Codex (to be found on Sonique's page and others) will
list out the albums and tracks in chronological order and I could
probably help you out with some lyrics if you haven't already found
these elsewhere by now.

Probably also worth finding a book of Hawkwind history if you can track
one down - there is much to discover in terms of how Hawkwind have
presented their music over the years quite apart from their lyrics and
to trace the various influences not least the SF genre - which certainly
as far as Moorcock is concerned, is often stuffed with political
allegory.

IMO it is probably during the Bob Calvert era which was when, arguably,
the bulk of the songs with direct political reference were composed
although both Moorcock and Nik Turner have had plenty to say.

enjoy!

jill

(who is now to be numbered among those favoured multitude who have had
a Virgin Experience - this is anyone who has been trapped in a Virgin
train on the West coast line going nowhere.   Do NOT travel on this
route!!!)

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk