OFF: RE: Corman (was Fantastic Four Movie)

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Fri Sep 4 07:12:36 EDT 1998

> I've seen it.  It wasn't that bad, just typical Corman production values
> of extremely low budget and not particularly skilled actors.
>
> John McIntyre

I don't want nobody to go off bashin' ol' R.C. now...the man is a
legend! Okay, so his movies tend toward the lower end...a lot of them
are fun nonetheless...and I can state without the least bit of
embarrassment that I liked "Carnosaur" about a million times more
than "Godzilla".

Even though his films (and Roger himself) are often treated with just
an ounce more respect than Ed Wood by the critics, Hollywood owes one
hell of a debt to Mr. Corman in terms of careers he's helped launch.
And it was nice to see his cameo in "Silence of the Lambs" courtesy
of one former protege, director Jonathan Demme.

The movie business has changed so much that it's doubtful you're
seeing the next Jack Nicholson in any recently Corman-produced or
directed offerings, but what a wild ride he had back in the day. And
you never do know, anyway.

Corman put out an autobiography a couple years back called something
like, "How I Made Over 100 Movies in Hollywood and Never Lost a
Dime". I've looked for it before and come up empty handed. I'd love
to read it, though.

To steer this somewhat On-topic again, what ever happened to Charles
Band's Full Moon Pictures? They're the ones who made "Bad Channels".
Are they still around? Any plans to utilize Buck/BOC again? And does
Buck have any plans to seek more of a career in movie scoring a-la
Mark Knopfler/Stewart Copeland/Brian Eno/Danny Elfman/Mark
Mothersbaugh, etc.? He sure does seem to have the production skills.

While we're on the subject, I was reading my "Bad Channels" liner
notes recently and was reminded of the fact that BOC were still with
Sandy Pearlman at the time. When did they split with him and why? Was
it friendly? What is he doing now?

--  Nick