BOC: Dissin' the Dizbusters

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Mon Sep 14 19:33:51 EDT 1998

BREVARD, Adrian R. wrote:

> LOL, no offense taken, that was very funny.  But the early BOC lyrics a)
> weren't as important to me as the music.  Part of this being my oown
> persoanl background.  Even during my headbanging rock and roll years in
> high school I still partied with the funk and dance music.  Essentially
> lyrics were not the end-all for me, the groove is what mattered.  And
> you have to admit it took effort to make out what Eric was singin in the
> eraly days.  Part of that may be the recording quality, but I also don't
> think the band knew just how good they really were back then.   They
> were young as a unit after all.

Your definitely right, the music is the most important, it doesn't really matter
how good you are lyrically if you don't have the musical talent to carry the
lyrics, something BOC had no short supply of. Take Kiss for example, Ive always
loved Kiss, I think they have great rocking tunes even though the lyrics are,
well, not genius. But then Kiss was always great party music and to my knowledge
never tried to get real "deep" with there music lyrically. But on the other hand
that was one of the things about BOC that pushed them to the top of the pile for
me, to me no other band has or ever will dethrone the Cult as the lyrical kings of
Rock & Roll. Speaking of Grodin again, on that same interview he asked Buck if
people ever had problems deciphering the lyric to which Buck humorously replied
"what people think they are, are actually better than what they were", or
something like that :-). Eric is definitely hard to figure out lyrically, which I
think is cool, allot of BOC songs even after listing to them repeatedly I could
still pick up a new word here and there, until, many thanks to Bolle, I got the
lyric book and did allot of following along :-).

> >I don't think Buck would be a better Jazz musician, I couldn't hear him doing
> that, Jazz is a very technical form of music I guess and when it comes
> to technicality none are higher than Buck, but I have always hated
> Jazz, it always seemed to "random" for me, Bucks unique and original
> guitar playing was just another thing that set them apart and above the
> rest of the crowd.
>
> Ah we disagree here.  I love Jazz and treust me Buck would kill this
> stuff.  Besides as you have doubtlessly seen -
>
> AL>Buck's dad, Don Roeser Sr., (Buck is Don Roeser Jr.) is an excellent
> JAZZ sax player. He has played semi-professionally all his life and Don
> Jr,'s
> first experience playing in a band was sitting in with his father.
> Buck's
> first musical vocabulary was jazz. I'm sure he could be a jazz giant if
> that's what he chose to do."
>
> An opinion like that I'd take to the bank!

all right, I know when to back down ;-). As far as a jazz giant I have no doubt in
my mind that he could be, he is just so extremely talented and has such a good
grasp musically I think any style of music he could dominate.

> >About groove, definitely, no other band has had a better groove and no other
> band ever will, "Before the Kiss, a Redcap" nuff said with that song.
>
> Very true.  Before BOC my idea of great rock was three chords and some
> shouting.  BOC pushed me into exploring all types of rock and roll,
> Jazz, Jazz rock fusion; nothing was off limits anymore thanks to these
> guys.
>
> Ghost in the Ruins

I still like some of that three chord shouting music, but thanks to BOC, my taste
in music has got a lot more picky. Not too many bands out there have five distinct
song writers, all with there own styles, and an ability to work together so well.

Talk to ya later. . .