HW: Atomhenge/Quark Night

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Sep 17 14:11:36 EDT 1998

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:14:00 GMT, Mark Edmonds
<edmondsm.brbs at EMS.RAIL.CO.UK> asked:

>I just got my copy of Atomhenge - have only listened to it in short snippets
>so far but really enjoyed the "groove" of Time For Sale. Does anyone know
>the credits for this track?

My guess would be Calvert/Rudolph, maybe even Calvert/Rudolph/Powell
(although Dave is prominent on the backing vocals).  The reasoning being
the announcement that Rudolph and Powell were sacked from the band for
being "too funky".  I never quite understood that accusation (well, there
is "The Aubergine that Ate Rangoon") until I heard "Time For Sale" - then
it made perfect sense!  For the record, I like the song, even though it is
pretty damn uncharacteristic for Hawkwind - I may even like the "funk" bent
more than the reggae flavorings of the last few years.  Then again, this
was the era (76/77) where it seemed like every band in the world had to
release a disco cash-in album (or at least a song or two), so I think you
have to give a lot of credit to Hawkwind for steadfastly refusing to do so.

All that being said, I like the groove on the 'Atomhenge' version of "Uncle
Sam's On Mars" even better.  It shows Dave's love of Neu's music better
than anything else Hawkwind have ever done, and I really like the way that
it's a total contrast to the punk-ish version of the song that the
Hawklords were playing a couple of years later (which I also really like).

If anyone knows more about this, please speak up!
Still eagerly awaiting my copy of 'Quark Night...'

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com