OFF: Comebacks

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Sep 21 08:11:08 EDT 1998

> From:          Laj Waldner <erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM>
> Ya it's too bad about the fact that allot of great bands don't get the
> recognition that they deserve, and that most of the publics "recognition" is
> wasted on allot less interesting bands, due to my current age of 23 years I have
> unfortunately never seen BOC with Albert or Joe, the five guitars, the huge
> Godzilla during the ETL tour, the awesome laser show, Eric riding a Harley on
> stage, Albert singing Cities from behind his kit, and the list goes on and on.
> But then again the current line-up is awesome, it's cool the way you can, when
> they play a bar, get right up front within 10 feet of the band!!! Ive seen allot
> of large stadium bands live but the BOC musically blows most of these groups
> away. As far as these bands being long dead rock bands, I prefer to look at it in
> the way of time weeding out the crap, most people I talk to that say there BOC
> fans, or Hawkwind fans, or Grateful Dead fans are usually people that own every
> album and are thoroughly into said bands, there the fans that count.

WEll the current lineup is very good indeed.  Danny's a great
replacement for Joe, though he doesn't contribute songwriting the way
Joe did.  Bobby's a great drummer in his own right, but it's hard
comparing anyone to Al, as Al's style is one in a million.  And of
course, Al's songwriting puts him at another level altogether.  EB's
voice has lost a bit of it's edge, but since HF, he's sounded great
live.  BD--well, he's at an all-time high in his gtr playing.  If you
haven't seen them recently, Buck will just knock you over with his
playing.  It's hard to imagine that the guy has somehow gotten better
over the years, but trust me he has.  Most musicians kind of hit a
peak early in their careers, and then just kind of coast.  The
greatest ones, like BD Jeff Beck and  tiny handful of others, somehow
can keep pushing things to another level.  Buck is doing that now.
Damn!  I'm psyched--be seeing them in less than 3 weeks!

BTW, you're right, seeing them up close is the greatest, but I still
miss the laser show!

theo