OFF: Monster Magnet - Help!

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Sep 28 14:16:26 EDT 1998

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, BREVARD, Adrian R. wrote:

=> Folks here have mentioned Monster Magnet quite often...I bit the bullet
=> and bought a copy of Powertrip ($8.49 at Best Buy)...
=>
=> Question, WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THESE GUYS?  I postively love this CD
=> on first listen...Can't quite describe them, they are like Galactic
=> Cowboys meet Black Sabbath with Al Bouchard on vocals... truly great
=> stuff...

=> OK back to lurker mode while I dig into Dopes to Infinity... yeah I
=> bought that one too...what else they got?

Albums:

        Spine of God
        Superjudge
        +
        25.....Tab (which is really an EP, but it is ~45 minutes long!)

_Spine of God_ and _25.....Tab_ are squarely in the "stoner rock" vein
(especially the latter).  _Spine of God_ is probably my favourite
Monster Magnet album, especially for its title track and the equally
delicious "Nod Scene."  (They also do a tasty cover of Grank Funk's
"Sin's a Good Man's Brother.")  Lots of liquid guitar and vocals, but
lots of heaviness too.  The music is more chaotic than the later
material, especially _25.....Tab_, which is basically a long stoner jam
in the studio (too unstructured and simplistic for some).

_Superjudge_ is more transitional to the more "metal" feel exhibited on
_Dopes to Infinity_ and _Powertrip_.  It contains a cover of Hawkwind's
"Brainstorm" (with hilariously off lyrics) although another tune on
there---"Dinosaur Vacume"---is probably more "Hawkwindy." :-)
_Superjudge_ was my introduction to Monster Magnet, courtesy of Steve
Swann.  (Yes---blame it on Swann!;)

_Powertrip_ is probably Monster Magnet's most polished work to date.
The production gets progressively more raw the further back you go in
their catalogue.

Enjoy!!

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD-R: Gov't Mule, _Dancing Across the Water_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix