HW: Re: New Remasters better sound?

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Tue Aug 10 14:08:41 EDT 1999

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 03:13:19PM +0100, M Holmes wrote:
  Paul sez:
> > Wait a minute, I'm confused.  Mike was talking about "the *six* new
> > remastered Hawkwind albums," and since he undoubtedly has the *five* EMI
> > remasters, surely he is talking about something else?
> >
> > So, Mike, what are the titles of the six new remasters?  (And who is
> > doing them?)
>
> It's EMI I believe. TistheBis, Xenon Codex, Live '79, Levitation and
> errrr....

Wow, a whole bunch of albums that are absolutely not in need of
remastering.  I dunno about _TheBiz_, but the others are some *fine*
sounding CDs.  I suppose if this is just an effort to get their
back-catalog under control, then it's ok, and not just a waste of
studio time and money.  I think they deserve to own their own music,
after all these years.  :-)

BTW, did we ever settle the issue of whether there was a difference in
sound between the single-album issue of Levitation, and the Castle
two-for-one _Levitation/Live '79_?  I've got the "twofer" and frankly,
both of them have a crystalline perfection of sound that sometimes
makes me doubt that they're Hawkwind albums.  ;-)

Steve