HW: Eclipse Party & SD'99

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Aug 16 14:19:53 EDT 1999

Age said...

>Got back from Cornwall yesterday after a few days in the great outdoors.
>Got to Carleen and found the site after about 20 minutes.
>Hawkwind played twice at the party. The first set was just after the total
>eclipse (which was obscured by cloud unfortunately, though it went
>completely dark and was a fantastic experience).

Obscured by Clouds?  They played some Pink Floyd covers?  :)

Everything about this (and the Derby) event sounds great!  Nice to see that
the band still exists at least!

So the big question...was there any professional-looking recording (audio
and/or video) going on at either of these shows?  For us poor folks on the
wrong side of the pond.

That said, I'm getting excited about SD'99, now that it's just a handful of
days away!  There's every reason to come, HW or not.  Nik will be there with
Farflung.  Anyone who hears that he's cancelled his US appearance should
note that although a couple warmup shows have gone by the wayside this week,
he will be on stage with Farflung (and also as Anubian Lights) this Saturday
night.

As far as Friday goes, Helios Creed will headline now instead of the Tribe
of Cro of course.  Alien Planetscapes has now elected to remain in their
spot on Saturday, so there's still an opening on Friday early evening.
Based on my suggestions, Jim is talking with two bands who are now the top
candidates.  Both are excellent and I'm happy to have made some input...hope
you like them. I should know by tomorrow who the replacement will be.

For those who haven't come before, there's several things to note.  I don't
think there's any alcohol sales on site, so unless you want to make trips to
civilization after arriving, bring your own.  And no glass bottles are
allowed, which means only crappy beer is acceptable!

There were several food vendors last year that were quite good, and rather
popular.  I'll probably bring a little of my own stuff, but it's not
absolutely necessary to haul a side of beef or anything.

Bring your swimsuits...the lake is very refreshing after all the hot sun
that we normally get.

Watch out for the toilets...I hope there's some improvement since last year,
but they're a little rancid.  The out-of-the-way portapotties seemed to be
the cleanest.

There's photos and maps to the site at www.nlqp.com.

I hope to see you all there...should be another outstanding event.

The weekend passes are $50 (at least they were in advance...I'm not sure
what the gate price will be on Friday).  If you arrive Saturday during the
day, you will get in for $35, which allows you to camp over to Sunday also I
believe.

But you should definitely come early!  Helios and the as-yet-unnamed band
should not be missed!  :)

Keith H. (FAA)