Hawkwind the Seer

Andrew Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Mon Dec 6 21:03:50 EST 1999

>> Most of it is traditional, its most memorable tune is "Stones", written by
>> Iolo (a real person, BTW).
>
>I love "Stones"! It's a fine piece of music. The real person is a friend
>of
>Richard Garriot's (I can't recall the name in the moment, sorry).

Okay, apologizing for the off-topic here for the others.

David Watson.  In the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), he goes by
the name Iolo Fitzowen.  Garriot (who goes by the name Shamino) met him,
and all the other regulars there (Dupre, Gwenno, Jaana, Mariah, etc.) in
the Austin area....

I was at an event in San Antonio, sometime after having played Ultima IV,
(sometime late 80's) when I met Iolo, did not make the immediate connection.
He made and sold authentic medieval crossbows, I ended up having him make
me one (still have it to this day, a fine piece of work).  At the time he had
a number of models available for people to target practice at with... it
was a hot day, he decided to take a break, so he sets up under a tree... and
pulls out a lute.  Which set off an alarm bell in my mind...  he played a
piece, very sweet, then mentions that Gwenno, wrote the words for
the next song, and procedes to play "stones".  At this point I ask if he knows
Garriot, and he smiled...  anyway, got to meet Dupre that day also, who BTW
was a finalist in a fighting tournament that day, as well as Gwenno.

Anyway.  He's a wonderful lute-player.  I asked him how he got into making
crossbows.... he said he bought one from Wham-O (the frisbee makers) in the
50's, it didn't work, so he decided to research it and make one right.  He
has a website where he sells them and books about crossbows, "new world
arbalest" at http://www.moontower.com/crossbow/

"To dwell within Samsara, however, is to
 be subject to the works of those mighty
 among dreamers."

 - Mahasamatman, in Zelazny's "Lord of Light"

Andrew Apold