HW: Complete '79

David Bottomley merlinas at DIRCON.CO.UK
Wed Dec 8 09:24:23 EST 1999

Well, I've just received Complete Live '79 and, whilst it's great to have these tracks after all this time, I've got to admit to being mightily disappointed by the sound quality. I guess I was expecting something comparable with the original .....

As someone (sorry, can't remember who) pointed out earlier, this is clearly from a different gig to Live '79...apart from maybe Shot Down in the Night. Is it just me or is the Complete '79 version identical to the Live '79 (albeit a different mix & infinitely inferior sound quality)? The other tracks in common are clearly different versions, but SDitN seems too close to be a coincidence. If that's the case, one of the two CDs has to be a composite of (at least) 2 gigs.

Whilst I'm on this subject, has anyone else noticed that the supposed single edit of Shot Down on the epocheclipse 3CD set isn't the single edit at all (which *can* be found on the Spectrum 'Silver Machine' comp)? It's a completely different, and new (to me), edit with longer intro & a shorter solo. Time to shed that anorak, I think... :-)

DaveB