worst guitar solos

dhuggins dhuggins at HYPERNOVA.NET
Sat Dec 11 14:01:00 EST 1999

Yeah,

        Page is/was(?) an excellent guitarist, haven't heard him recently though
so I have to take your all's world for it.  I do like his tight but loose
style, actually, a lot more now than when I heard it in the 70's.  I do
recall someone telling me he was a session guitarist in the early/mid
sixties, and was on a SIGNIFICANT percentage of the (states view) "British
Invasion" bands' studio singles/albums.  Maybe he got tired of playing by
the book, and decided that he would let it all hang out and push his limits
when he got his own band (besides the YBirds).

        With respect to age, I truly think (sans arthritis and the like) that any
50 year old can play as well as they did when they were 20, from a
"technical" standpoint.  It is just a matter of dedication and time spent.
Do you honestly think that JP spends anywhere close to as much time on
guitar as he did 25-30 years ago?  I sure don't.  With respect to
"innovation", that is a more difficult one.  What makes a rock guitarist
stand out?  A new, unique, or distinctive sound or style of play?  Usually.
 Can they continue to be innovative beyond their intitial uniqueness?
Thats hard to do over a long period of time.  It's not the same measuring
stick as with some other musical styles, but that's the way it is.

                                Dave