HW: Elf and Hawk

Scott Heller shll at HAGEDORN.DK
Tue Feb 2 08:18:21 EST 1999

Hej,

        Here are my thoughts on the Elf and the Hawk after one listen:

1. I really think this is something only the die hard fans will want as
most if it is pretty lame..  Specific comments.. The liner notes by Brian
Tawn written in 1998 are so incredibly small you can hardly read them and
from what I could read he does not mention anything about where the Dave
Brock tune comes from or the two additional Alan Davey songs.

Countdown.. this is pretty cool..
Ejection.. the shortest version ever... I wonder why it was cut down to
under 3 min.. I know this is the version that was on the original 12" but
just as Huw is getting going it fades..
Dark Empire- I thought this was pretty uninteresting..
Syndrome- Very thin crap sound and a lamne tune with a guitar player whos
sounds like a poor version of Huw..
Ghost Dance- Pretty interesting version actually.. The Give me my Heart
Chant is included...
Entropy Tango is really just filler in my eyes.
Underground Zero is actullay quite good and remind me of a less aggressive
Omnia Opera (or where Omnia Opera a more aggressive UZ?)
Dave Brock- Burn me Up.. No information on the this tune.. SOunds like it
was recorded in the 80's though. I quite like it. I wish Dave would play
this kind of guitar now days.. Great wah guitar.

The Elf EP is ok.. but the material really sounds pretty lame compared to
the rich, driving synth mad stuff that Alan is doing now.

Fractal Hunter and Space Rock by Alan were for sure recorded later than the
Elf EP stuff as the sound is much better and the bass lines really clear
but it is not on the home demos I have from 1990..??

Pxr1 covers Spirit of the Age and I infact, liked this song the best of the
whole disc.. Very cool, spacey long version with nice synth passages..

Overall, a rating of about a 4 out of 10..

scott

ObCD- Psychomuzak- Send

R. Scott Heller PhD
Hagedorn Research Institute