HW: Bedouin

Sun Feb 7 18:53:46 EST 1999

On sön 7 feb 1999 17.59 +0000 DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
> guess i need to hear bedouin...

     Yes.  I think "cross 90s HW with Motorhead" is a not unfair
description of Bedouin live.  Neither _Captured Rotation_ nor
_Bedouin_ itself (the AD solo album) sound like the live band,
really.  I liked _Captured Rotation_ a lot, but was afraid
Alan might over-indulged in floaty synth stuff live (I
like floaty synths, but not _too_ much all at once).

     My fears were completely unjustified.  So much so, that I
think they'd be OK with a permanent synth player (as always, I
recommend Jens from Spacious Mind :)  but I think Alan is
concentrating on the hard, fast, and LOUD aspects--and not
without superb effect.

     Actually, it's rather like a meaner sounding early 90s
Hawkwind (not surprising, I suppose).  I reach this by concluding
that in an ideal world Alan would have Richard and Dave on drums
and guitar ... ;)
     Even the undeal world has a damn fine Bedouin in it!

     Speaking of which, any further news on tour dates?  I've
got people in Cambridge who are psyched to see them!  Part
of my continuing campaign to convince students grooving to
the current "stoner" (dreadful term!) bands that HW and Co.
are things they need to know about :)

     If Bedouin can put out an album which captures the live feel,
it will be extremely impressive.  I am a complete sucker for
spacerock with loud guitars and (Rick :) basses propelled by
booster-rocket 2/2 drumming :)  Music actually left rolling in the
wake of unlikely starships as they forge across the churning void.

     Knobs to 11 and maximum warp: Yee hah :)

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic
mailto:cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk