OFF: Drinking Ouzo

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Sun Feb 21 17:47:19 EST 1999

J Strobridge wrote:

> Goran Janicijevic writes:
>
> > The only proper way of drinking ouzo is, to be cooled:
> >
> > 1. Internally - with ice inside; the ouzo getting white and dense.
> >
> > 2. Externally - frig chilled, or ice around the glass; the ouzo
> > getting oily and dense.
> >
> > Optional snack: Fresh salad containing tomatos, olives, cucumbers,
> > onions, marjoram and greek cheese (not necessary all at once).
> >
> > Any other way of drinking ouzo (other temperature, additives, or
> > snack) is a taste crime. And a special crime for your health is if you
> > drink something else alcocholic along ouzo, eg. beer.
> >
> > How do I know that? Well, I am from where it originates... or pretty
> > close.
>
> Oh dear - I always thought ouzo was a Greek drink!   How far out am I?
>
> I've never tried drinking it but I love the smell of licourice
> (?spelling)  so I'd probably just inhale the scent instead of consuming
> it  - an even greater crime I fear!
>
> jill  (an imperfect imbiber)

> J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
>                                                 ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk

you should try a Flaming Sambuka, Sambuka being a licorice liquor, you
pour the shot (about two ounces) then light it, lick your hand and place
it over the glass, when the flame goes out it will suck up into your
hand, give it a quick shake, bring it up to your mouth, and when you
pull your hand away quickly inhale the fumes (goes right to your head
:-)), then down the shot :-).

Laj.