BOC: _Live '76_, out on DVD!

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Tue Jan 5 09:22:06 EST 1999

Laj Waldner writes:

> > included a PCM stereo track, which sounds fine.  The video looks
> > better than my beat up VHS tape, what a surprise.  :-) I haven't
> > watched all of it yet - I'll post a more complete review later.  But
> > basically, this is the same old Live 76 that we all know and love,
> > without the video noise problems and eventual media degredation of
> > VHS tape.  Isn't that reason enough to own it?  :-)
>
> The Live '76 Sound quality was far from perfect,  but does the DVD really
> sound a lot better?

Only in that the DVD has a PCM stereo (i.e. "CD audio") track, which
doesn't suffer from having been dubbed to crappy VHS audio.  The sound
is more comparable to the Live '76 CD, which is still not great, but
better.

The main reason to desire this over the VHS tape are the same reasons
that you would prefer a CD over a cassette tape - DVD is a robust
medium, and doesnn't degrade with repeated playing (or just from
sitting on your shelf) like magnetic tape does.

Steve
swann at plutonia.com